I am driving home yesterday evening and along the side of the road are two people attempting to hitch a ride to God knows where. This is not the first time I’ve seen this mind you, but what is more troubling is the fact that someone actually picked them up because when I go past the spot again, they are gone.
So a couple of theories as to their whereabouts:
- The two gave up and went to seek shelter for the night.
- The police saw them and they were picked up for hitchhiking.
- Some brave soul actually picked them up and gave them a ride.
The question begs though, why, why, why were they out there in the first place? Were they…
- Too poor to own a car and pay for gas/insurance and other necessary costs associated with ownership.
- Homeless and jobless and heading somewhere where they could find jobs and a place to stay. (Note: Heading north is probably not a good idea as the towns get smaller, scarcer and jobs are harder to find due to the rural nature of the landscape north of where I live.)
- On vacation and decided to hitchhike there way across California in order to save a few bucks.
Perhaps you all could share your thoughts on the subject, but I must say that if I looked dirty, unkept and wore torn clothing, I’m probably not going to stop and pick you up from the side of the road. Besides, haven’t you heard the expression, “Momma always said to never pick up hitchhikers!” Clearly, someone did not heed that warning.
Wishing you moments to make observations!
Like anything you see here? Then contact me, Susan Dusterhoft at email@example.com. I am always looking for more books/products to review. I can also provide assistance with blog writing!