I have notice changes in my surroundings. My writing surroundings that is. The community that I quietly joined three years ago seems to be experiencing some growing pains…again. The winds of change are upon us.
When I got into this gig oh so long ago, I had high aspirations but quickly realized just how cutthroat this business really was, what kind of writer I wanted to be and that I was not going to be able to produce quickly enough to make it in the business. Other things were happening in my life which ultimately lead me to “starting all over again.” I decided that at that point what I really wanted out of this writing gig and quickly made changes in my life to help accommodate those decisions.
Luckily, I was fortunate enough to find a new “day job” to support myself while I worked on the writing that will ultimately be my legacy on the world. I managed to pick up a few writing gigs but overall they didn’t pay the bills. I wanted to write about the stuff that interested me and that did not include anything about Honey Boo Boo or The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Besides, there were plenty of other writers out there that seemed to be doing just fine with those topics.
One of the things that really bothered me though was writing the real hardcore news. I knew personally that this was not for me. I can’t stand watching the news as it is; for me to write it would be devastating. Several times I remembered reading about something horrific in the news and following up on the commentaries from my friends in our various writer’s groups. While they were reporting their stories about these unbelievable events, they were also making money off of them. It just made me ill, but I had to remember I had decided when I got into this game that this type of writing was not for me.
While I don’t begrudge them for what they did, I know in my heart that this style of writing was never going to be for me and I was glad there were others who were able to do so. I am thankful that my day job has earned me enough money to write about the things that really matter to me personally. I also have to remember that writing for my friends is their job. They need to write about these things because this is how, and in some respects, the only way they are able to earn a living unlike myself. I am grateful that they write about the things that don’t interest me so I can write about the things that do.
Now I see my writing friends struggling to earn a living. They are upset because the rules keep changing and the payout for all their hard work is decreasing. While I have experience a significant decline in my own page views and monetary compensation, I can’t help but wonder what will become of my friends who are all scrambling to diversify instead of leaving “all their eggs in one basket.” I understand their frustrations and concerns, but I have not made the type of income through writing like they have. On the other hand, they don’t make the income I make from my day job. The economy is starting to turn around and there are more jobs becoming available, but many of friends are not able to work outside the home, so making a living through writing is the only chance they have.
Because of this, I have been thinking again about what I want to do with my writing and future in this industry. I have had some wonderful opportunities that had lead to even greater ones. I have said in the past that I have some big plans and I still do, but what I don’t plan on doing is following the road my fellow writers are on. I want them to have every opportunity to earn a living they need in order to survive. Most of all, I don’t want to stand in their way of making a living, which means I won’t be getting in on the action at the other websites for which they are trying to write.
So where does that leave me? What are my big plans? Well they include:
- Continuing to write about those topics that are important to me and publish them for the company for whom I made that commitment. And if I get offered another opportunity because of them, then I will evaluate it at that time.
- Continuing with my blog/website with future plans to expand it to another platform. Steps are currently in place to make that happen. Costs are really expensive but when it’s done, it’s going to be great.
- Furthering my involvement and promotion of Proverbs & Wisdom and In The Light Magazine. Check them out when you get a chance!
- Offer my editing skills and creative input to those authors who are interested. Have questions or want to inquire to my editing rates? Please contact me at [email protected].
- Expanding my brand through other opportunities. Look for some fun things to be released later this year.
- I will be reading and writing book reviews and posting them on Today’s Working Woman, Blogher Amazon, Goodreads, Shelfari and various other sites as appropriate.
- Best of all, I will continue to blog and write about the things that affect the lives of Today’s Working Woman.
Yes, the winds of change are coming, but I plan to ride them my way.
Wishing you moments to do the same,
Like anything you see here? Then contact me, Susan Dusterhoft at [email protected]
. I am always looking for more books/products to review. I can also provide assistance with blog writing!